Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Home

We headed home for two weeks of Canadiana culture on Friday. The thing that always surprises me about coming home is how little things change. The same friends, the same sights, the same activities. In some ways it is comforting, you know you can always go home. In other ways, it makes me appreciate my experiences elsewhere that much more. I can now truly appreciate all the good things about Vancouver, while at the same time, revile in the things that I find burdensome or ugly. For instance, I have truly come to appreciate the ability to walk to most things (or at least ride my bike). The fact that I have driven something like 5 hours since I returned here, and that is just driving to people's homes, not some long distance journey, has made me appreciate the closeness of things in Sweden that much more.

I also appreciate the high-density housing. Every time I come home it pains me to see more and more houses built up the hillside. It would be so much better if we modeled ourselves after the Swedes and lived in apartments (with courtyards mind you) rather than in single family homes. Imagine how many more people we could fit into a smaller space, and how much more efficient a public transit system we could have if it didn't need to get stretched across such great distances.

Ok, enough raving though. There are plenty of great things about Canada too. Friendly people, everyone speaks English :) and bbqs!!!

I had the strange experience of walking with someone who was speaking quite loud, and thinking "man, are they ever speaking loudly, everyone is going to know that we are English speakers". Only to realize that it didn't matter because everyone spoke English here. As bizarre as that might sound, I definitely find myself speaking quieter in Sweden than I do here, so that I am not instantly labelled as a foreigner, although perhaps my clothes give me away :).

Well, I'm off to work with my dad.
E.

No comments: