Saturday, March 15, 2008

Fika med kompisar (with friends)

So something that Swedes love to have is Fika. Fika is a noun but also a verb (at least in Swedish), you can fika as well as have fika! Pretty much it means to imbibe in something edible and have coffee (kaffe) (or tea (te) or hot chocolate (varm chocklad) or whatever strikes your fancy). But the important part is that you must do it with friends. Well, I had not been doing a lot of fikaing (?) as (sad I know) I had not made many friends who didn't work during the day. But the tides have changed. I have met two fantastic girls in my Svenska class, both Americans, both foodies, and when we get together we talk nonstop. It is fantastic! And what a difference some girlchat can make to your perspective on life. If you are at all interested in Swedish food, you should check out Jessie's website. She even posts photos...www.everyplateisapicture.blogspot.com. Fika has now become a weekly part of my life, and one that I look forward to a great deal! So let's hope it continues.

Now for another interesting fact: Swedes are addicted to "godis" or candies. There are the most amazing candy stores here, with bins full of candy. You mix them all in a bag and then just pay per the weight. Luckily, most Swedes walk a lot or ride their bikes, and so their health is not adversely affected by the vast amounts of godis they consumer. We have not gotten into this habit yet, but I'm sure it won't be long until we are having godis cravings. We plan on bringing some special Swedish godis home with us....salty black liquorice. Not really a fan, but I'm betting my father-in-law will be!

Hej då
E.

No comments: