Saturday, September 13, 2008

A year ago...

I find it hard to believe that its already been a year since I arrived here in Sweden. Yes, a whole year! September 4th was my anniversary day and my goodness how times flies. Although it has not always been easy living here, I have truly appreciated the experience. And as I plan to enjoy my second kulturnatten (Culture Night) here in Uppsala I was reminiscing about all that has happened this year...

A year ago today, Ben and I headed out on the town with our friend Kim, from South Africa, who sadly left Uppsala last November. That is one of the things that has been great about being here, meeting so many new people from so many places but its also a sad part as we often have to say goodbye. I was feeling the pain recently as one of my good friends here in Sweden left to join her fiance in the Canary Islands. I guess the one positive thing about seeing people leave is the possibility of visiting them one day! :) And hopefully that will happen with everyone who we've met.

B. just left in the taxi to the airport and will be gone for three weeks. I'm trying to make a plan of attack so that I don't get too blue while he's gone. Luckily I started two distance education classes and my Swedish for Immigrants class this week. So I should be able to keep fairly busy.

The new words I learned this week are: modersmål = mother tongue (moders = mother's, mål=tongue) and huvudstad = capital city. Its been a slow start to the Swedish class, but hopefully it will pick up. The positive part is that I've already met so many interesting people in the class. Its like a mini United Nations with people from Germany, Pakistan, Turkey, Iraq, South Africa, New Zealand, El Salvador, Chile, Mexica, Colombia, China, Lithuania, Poland, Bosnia, Sudan, Bangladesh and of course, the lone Canadian. Pretty amazing though.

I'll probably be lonely in the next few weeks...so if anyone is in the mood to chat, give me a call or Skype me!
Trevlig helg (Have a nice weekend!)
E.

1 comment:

Jessie Jönzén said...

hej söt kompis!
so fun to read your blog! it truly is a bittersweet experience to do what we are doing...to arrive to a new place and meet new friends and then have to say 'so long!'...but please know that our friendship was not by accident, nor is it over...you have been a dear friend and companion and provided so much joy and inspiration in my life...and we haven't even known each other for a year! think of what is to come :) i am encouraged by your desire to learn and keep busy and soak up all that surrounds you. i wish i was there to take that SFI course! what classes are you taking online? i though about getting into something like that...
well, thinking of you as always...and hoping you're not too lonely over there. sending lots of love your way!
kramar i massor,
your 'swedican' friend, jessie